Ron and Joan

Ron and Joan

Friday, December 7, 2007

Christmas message from Joan



Dear Family and friends,
Sending my love to you all at Christmastime. May you treasure the season with the ones you love.



Just a year ago Ron and I were sending Christmas cards with the news of Ron’s melanoma diagnosis. We enjoyed several good months playing lawn bowls, visiting relatives, trip to the coast and home/garden activities. In March my siblings (six of us) shared a luncheon to celebrate my 80th birthday and another day Chris/Beth and families organised a lovely lake cruise. Precious family times.

Late April, Ron became unwell with the cancer spread to the brain and 6 weeks later (8 June) he died – pain free, peacefully at home surrounded by our family. His faith was an inspiration and encouragement to us. We were upheld and supported by loving relatives and friends.
I was hospitalised just 10 days earlier and diagnosed with carcinoma affecting both lungs. I am still living at home, managing by myself and with lots of help from daughters and family. Breathlessness and fatigue affect my usual activities, but I’m still finding lots to be thankful about. Ron’s book, ‘Thereby Hangs a Tale’ was written with the help of a family friend and we printed it up early this year. I am currently recording my memoirs, which Beth hopes to turn into a book as well. I have recalled many wonderful times.

Three months ago (30 August) Chris came off her horse onto a steel barrier and received a badly broken arm and also spinal vertebrae (L3), but thankfully her nerves were not permanently damaged. She was in hospital for 2 weeks and allowed home with backbrace. After 12 weeks her bones are not strongly healed but she is back at work for 3-hour days and facing slow rehabilitation.

The grandchildren have been around frequently and are all growing well. Steve (14) is finishing year 8 and started his first casual job today at Dick Smith Electronics. Leah (11) is starting yr 6 next year and loves all birds and animals. Ruben (7) moved up to year 2 after the mid year break. Michelle (7) loves people, pets and horses, of course.

Through everything we are still grateful for all our wonderful blessings as a family. God bless you and yours,


Joan and family

No comments: